How to Make Sure you Comply with Building Regulations

The Building Regulations in the UK aim to ensure that policies set out in law are carried out. Most building work in the UK will need Building Regulations approval.

There are so many different Building Regulations that it can be difficult to know whether your project complies with all the relevant legislation.

The best way to ensure that you comply is to make sure you do your research. We’ve put together some of the most common parts so you can get clued up.

What are the Building Regulations and Building Control?

The Building Regulations are grouped into categories A to P and aim to ensure the health, safety and welfare of people in and around buildings. They also aim to keep water clean and safe and improve the energy efficiency of buildings.

Building Control exists to ensure compliance with Building Regulations.

When will I need approval from Building Regulations?

Most building work needs approval from a Building Control Body. The kind of work that needs approval includes:

  • Loft conversions
  • Garage conversions
  • Extensions
  • Cavity wall insulation

If you hire a tradesman registered with a Competent Person Scheme, you might not have to notify Building Control separately. Tradesmen will be able to self-certify that some work meets regulations, which will save you time and money.

Loft conversion meets building regulations
Image via Pinterest

Who is responsible for meeting Building Regulations?

The person or company carrying out the building work should be responsible for making sure their work is compliant. But ultimately, the responsibility lies with the building owner as they can be served with a notice if the work doesn’t meet standards.

Where can I get approval?

You can go to your Local Authority Building Control office to get Building Regulations approval. You can submit an application online.

Another way to get Building Regulations approval is to use an Approved Inspector. They are private companies that are approved to certify work.

What happens if I don’t comply?

If your building work doesn’t comply with the regulations, you may be fined. Your local authority won’t issue you with a completion certificate, which could affect the sale of your house in the future.

The government introduced Competent Person Schemes so that tradespeople could self-certify that their work meets Building Regulations. This takes the hassle out of the process for you as your contractor deals with everything.

Although the regulations seem complicated, using a tradesman registered with a Competent Person Scheme will take a lot of the hassle out of the process for you. They will contact your local authority for you and will be able to answer any questions you may have.

If you’d like to find out more about the regulations, visit the Planning Portal website where you can find extensive information explained in easy-to-follow terms.

Emily Rivers

Emily Rivers is the Customer Experience Manager at Quotatis. She informs customers of the latest developments in a range of products so they can make the best choice for their homes and ensures they get the best out of our service.